Hey guys, so a lot of you are currently starting your first year of university or going into later years. Now I know that there are a lot of 'what you need' lists out there but a lot of the stuff on them isn't essential and this could save you a lot of money! Especially when you don't get your student loans until after Freshers week in most cases and we all know that you want your money to spend for freshers! So I thought I would give you a quick list on essential things you DO need in the majority of universities (I go to the University of Kent so this will be based on my experiences there)
1. The Basic Needs: This includes anything like Tea, Sugar, Milk, Coffee and Herbal tea. This is something that is a must have at university purely to get you through the amount of work that you have to get done and for all those late nights getting work done and of course for the perfect hangover cure!
2. Bedding: Pillows, Duvet, Covers, Cases and Throws all things bedding you will need, my room came with 1 pillow which was nice but it was a tiny uncomfortable thing so I was glad that I brought my own. Also it's nice to get a new set of covers for a bit of customisation of your room.
3. Chargers: Whether this includes phone, camera, iPod anything you think you will need make sure you don't forget the charger to it! Especially the camera ones because you want to make sure that you capture every moment of freshers so you remember it for years to come!
4. Clothes Horse: This is essential because washing and drying clothes can get expensive especially in the laundry rooms at halls! Ours was £2.70 for a basic was and £1 to dry! So obviously you will still need to do the washing but at least with a clotheshorse you save £1 each time!
5. Condoms: This is a need especially for males! Freshers will get messy and putting a lot of horny teenagers in the close confines of the student union something is bound to happen. Obviously this isn't for everyone but the majority will need to take protection. If you're a female and you're on the pill you will obviously need to take this as well!
6. Cutlery: This will not be provided! Although at Kent we got given a bowl, plate, cup, mug, knife, fork and spoon the majority of universities don't provide this so please remember to bring your own along with plate, bowl and mug!
7. Door stop: One of the first things I did when I got to my halls was leave my door open so that when my flatmates were moving in I could instantly getting chatting with them and offer help, this is a great way to build a friendship.
8. Extension Cord: It is almost guaranteed that you will not have enough plugs in your room to have everything plugged in that you need. Luckily I have an iMac which only uses 1 plug socket but if you are like my boyfriend and have a computer he has at least 2 being used if not more.
9. Coat Hangers: A necessity for your wardrobe, being able to hang clothes up would be useful and although most universities provide a wardrobe they don't normally provide coat hangers, I found out when I got there that there was around 5 fixed ones in the wardrobe.
10. Laptop/Computer: You will obviously need something to do you work on or that connects to the internet. If you can't afford a laptop there are deals going around for students and I think I remember reading somewhere about a government deal where you can get a laptop for around £50... I'm not sure if this is true though so don't hold me to it. Also remember there are ICT suites across campus that you will be able to access and use for free. Also invest in a webcam, everyone has someone they want to keep in contact with and Skype is a brilliant way of doing this.
11. Loo Roll: They normally provide you which one roll when you get there but then you are in charge of replenishing supplies. Also bring a toilet cleaning kit in case you are ever sick and need to clean the bathroom up.
12. Medical Kit: You should always take a basic medical kit, my mum went a bit overboard but you have to think that you can't just go to your parents and be like 'Mum, I'm ill' and she gives you medicine, you just want your basic kit that you can get from boots!
13. Pans: Unless you are in catered accommodation you will need your own set of pans to cook with also a handy thing to get would be a student cookbook, I'm considering starting a student cooking blog so let me know what you think about that?
14. Pens, Folders, Planner and Notebooks: The main things you need for your lectures! You will need to make notes in lectures and seminars so you need to make sure you have enough notebooks and folders for all your modules.
15. Bathroom care: Toothbrush, Toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel all things you will need to keep smelling fresh and not like a sweaty student!
16. Tea Towels: Make sure you hold onto your ones of these! We had problems with people using them to mop stuff on the tables especially if they weren't their own.
17. USB/Dropbox: Both of these things are very useful in university for transferring work when you are at a seminar to your home device or vice versa.
18. Make-up: Obviously this is mainly for girls but this is an essential to go out with on a night out, unless of course you feel confident in your own skin and don't need make-up which is then a 'Go girl!' moment!
19. Alcohol: Get your parents to buy a lot of alcohol before you go because you realise how expensive a night out is and how beneficial pre-drinks are!
20. Snacks: Coke, Biscuits, Squash, Crisps all these things you can keep in your room because you wouldn't believe how lazy you get as a student! I was only 2 doors away from my kitchen yet I still couldn't be bothered to make that short trip in the middle of the night to go get something from the kitchen!
Now a little note from Alex (Xangrim) on his experience at university:
"Typically, I realised what I needed for university after I got there. Bringing my computer meant that I would at least never be bored if I decided I was too hungover/ill to venture out into the world. Make sure that if you are going out that you don't wear your most expensive clothes during freshers and that your shoes are durable enough to survive Neon paint, foam and anything that the Student Union will want to throw at you! Most of all enjoy it and have a great first year!"
Hope you enjoyed that! Would you be interested in my starting up a cooking section/student living of my blog?
All images in this are not mine and I don't take credit of any of them! All credit goes to the people who took them.
Labels: 20 things, cooking, freshers, help, life, money, students, survival, uni, university, what you need